The Senior GIS Engineer will report to the Head of EO Applications at Deimos Space UK and will lead technical developments related to GIS technologies in Deimos Space UK, in collaboration with the other parts of Deimos in Spain, Portugal and Romania. He/she will be in charge of designing and developing GIS components used in Earth Observation applications in different domains such as biomass monitoring, change detection, urban mapping and data analytics.
Initially, the chosen candidate will be involved in maintaining and improving a platform called KORE that provides web services to applications using Earth Observation Imagery. For example, it helps farmers and agronomists to monitor their fields / crops using satellite imagery, UAV imagery and data acquired by ground based sensors. The platform is also being used in other applications such as monitoring illegal deforestation and urban mapping. In the KORE platform, the GIS engineer will be in charge of the GIS subsystem (based on GeoServer) and GIS elements of the database. The first priorities will be to develop a catalogue solution and new interfaces to satellite data providers.
He/she will also support to the business development team for activities related to GIS will be required to help prepare proposals for new projects/services. He/she will also be involved in supporting operational EO services with a range of commercial partners.
· Design of GIS components and interfaces, deployment of GIS solutions
· Monitoring, maintaining and improving services delivered by GeoServer (cache, tiling, styles, extensions, configuration, logs…), stress testing
· Development and testing of new components ingesting Earth Observation imagery and generating products in a Scrum team using continuous integration
· Collection, preparation, conversion, fusion of GIS data to be used in machine learning analytics algorithms
· Contribution to commercial activity and R&D project proposals
· Coordination with the partners who will use the interfaces to develop their application
· Coordination with the other Deimos teams developing GIS components.
· Travel in Europe and outside Europe to support international projects
University master degree in Engineering, Science, Geography or Computer Science.
– Some time working with Geographical Information Systems (GIS)
– Development with GeoServer (API)
– Design of GIS databases
– Use of Earth Observation imagery
– Working in an operational environment
– Development within AGILE teams (SCRUM)
– Web services development
– Experience with satellite data provider platforms and API: Digital Globe, Planet, Earth-i, Urthecast
– Experience of bid management and bid preparation
– Experience of working within a Quality Management System approach e.g. ISO9001
Experience in managing user requirements, their maintenance, traceability, verification and validation stages using formal methods and tools.
The working language for Deimos projects is English and therefore candidates must be able to work effectively in this language.